Our Adventure in the Country

Enjoying Our Adventure in the Country!

Monday, July 7, 2008

A bat and a dead chicken

On Saturday, Andrew and the boys went to his aunt's big holiday party down near Fort Smith. We decided that Lexie and I would stay home to man the farm and enjoy the peace and quiet. Lexie and I took the opportunity to have some girl time. We went out to dinner at a German restaurant. It made us homesick for Germany. Our friend, Kariann, went with us to dinner. When we came home to lock up the animals and watch a movie, we discovered a bat in the house. The bat hit the wall and fell into the dishpan. Kariann used salad tongs to remove it from the dishpan and put it outside.

Due to wet wings, the bat crawled across the porch and down the stairs.

Thank you, Kariann!

On Sunday morning, as Lexie and I were leaving for church, I ran over one of our chickens. The chickens always move out of the way of moving vehicles, just sometimes they run the wrong way! This black chicken just stood there. I asked out loud,"why isn't it moving?" So, it adjusted the vehicle to straddle the chicken. As the vehicle past over the hen, she decided to move and run right under my back tire. Lexie said, "Mom, you ran over the chicken!" She continued, "we need to go back and see if it's dead." I backed up the vehicle. "If it's not dead, you need to run it over again!" I looked at her and stated, "I don't want to! You get out and check if it's dead." I was pretty upset. I felt bad. Lexie got out of the vehicle and poked the chicken with a stick. It was both flat and dead. I called Andrew on the cell phone and told him. They made it home before we did and Michael disposed on the chicken for me. Thank you, Michael!

No comments: